13 July 2009

Moebius' The Mummy: Reworking the Head--Conclusion

I give you Im-ho-tep’s new head. . .


On the left is the stock head, which IMO bears a stronger resemblance to Rondo Hatton than Karloff. As you might recall, I removed the back side of the head from the dorsal body half with a jeweler's saw, and assembled the head as a stand-alone unit. The head was then filled with polyurethane resin (PUR), and pegged with 1/8" tin solder.

The head on the right is my resculpt--and I am VERY pleased. There might be some very minor tweaking still to be done before it is primed, but for all intents and purpose, it is done.

Given Karloff’s trademark features, this is not a difficult undertaking once one accepts how much of the underlying plastic needs to be removed before reworking the facial landscape can begin.

PS--The head is now in rubber, and I will hopefully have a first pour by Wednesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment