11 March 2014

"The Lord Crow" -- Prepwork 2

This evening was spent correcting any asymmetry to the ip face, preparing the "fleshed-out" neck for its band, and reworking the eyes. The latter are a classic example of how the painted boxart, properly photographed, can mislead, if not deceive outright.

What were provided as eyeballs were nothing more than the pupils suspended in the orbital sock- ets. While more and more sculptors have taken to emulating their fine art brethren, they have lost sight (pun intended!) of the fact that these are meant to be painted! Provide corneal relief--even a pupillary depression if you must!--but, above all, provide an eyeball!!

I would say that the eyes are about 70% done. They are still curing, and I probably won't have time to reassess tonight; but by tomorrow, I should be able to start working on finishing the face if I am so inclined.

Finally, I have reduced the hood of the chaperon, which will be resculpted. Now comes the "tailor- ing" of the garments, and the build-out of the visible underlying armour. 

More to follow. . .

UPDATE 12.03.2014. . . As I began reworking the face, it became obvious that working around the stock eyes was an exercise in futility: I have ground out the eyes, and have begun resculpt- ing as I normally would. 

UPDATE 13.03.2014. . . Progress continues, albeit not without revealing additional inherent asymmetries. Ah well. . . it's a dirty job, but somebody has/had to do it! On a positive note, the neckband has been sculpted and is now curing.

No comments:

Post a Comment