07 March 2014

Jon Snow -- Prepwork 5

The week-from-Hell at work continues, so bench time has been somewhat of a luxury; but I was able to begin what will be a critical aspect of the piece: the bastard sword Longclaw!

I had a decision to make re: the version of Longclaw that would be depicted: literary or cinematic. As my rendition (read: resculpt) of the subject is based primarily on the HBO version, I had little choice but to go with the latter.

Regardless of which I chose, however, it would be a compromise. As I've said, the proportional consistency of this figure is virtually non-existent, and this is no more evident than in the sword! While I am averse to compromise, I decided to cut my losses at the outset and get the sword as visually close as possible without adding to the considerable amount of work already on the agenda.

The tanged sword blank is now about 80% done, and well into the finishing phase. Next up are the fullers, and the crossguard. This is as far as I'll go; but in the interest of full disclosure the grip needs to be beefed-up considerably! This correction, however, would require a complete re- sculpture of the hands, and, potentially, a major repositioning of the arms. Ain't happening!!

More to follow. . .  

FOLLOW-UP 08.03.2014. . . The blade has been fuller-ed, sharpened, and the crossguard has been roughed-in and is now curing. For those of you who are not familiar with my approach to medieval weapons, they are made as they would have been forged: thus, the crossguard will be roughly finished in situ, before being removed, finished and then re-attached to the blade.

UPDATE 09.03.2014. . . The crossguard has been permanently attached to the blade, and final finishing is now underway.

No comments:

Post a Comment