27 March 2016

Deadpool - Prepwork: Intermezzo > Design

A few words about the design of my iteration of Deadpool before I get much further. . . 

As with any superhero/villain, DP has been anything but static in terms of his costume; however, since his first appearance in New Mutants #98 (Feb. 1991), his basic costume has remained virtually unchanged. But, as you've heard me say countless times before, the "devil is in the details", and it's in these details that DP's appearance changes significantly.

I missed the first 20 or so years of DP's life, so I am by no means an expert in the chronological evolution of DP's costume. On the other hand, I knew the features that I wanted to include in my iteration of the character: some are canon; some are derived from the cinematic depiction; and some are entirely my own enhancements based on 25+ years of handling and depicting tactical equipment.   

The figure as provided is an earlier iteration of "The Merc with a Mouth". I believe it is based on the design in vol. 25 of the Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe-Master Edition (Dec. 1992) (nb: it is interesting to note that DP's preferred cutlery were not always katana!), hence the changes/enhancements listed in the ongoing TDL.

I will hopefully be able to post an ip image in the next few weeks so that the readership can see where I am going with this project. . . 

PS--Just pulled the figure from the oven, and it immediately struck me how much of a Death- stroke vibe it has! Definitely on the right track, as DP was Marvel's answer to DC's "Terminator". 
 
When the cost of a hobby exceeds the fun and doesn't attract new people, the game is over.” -
Oscar Koveleski, August 2003

No comments:

Post a Comment