14 March 2016

Deadpool

The long-awaited (~6+ years--or more than twice that, depending on your baseline) cinematic apologia is now in its 5th week on-screen. . . and STILL going strong! While I will await its Blu- ray release in May before indulging, ALL of my colleagues whose opinion I value give it top marks.

So I have less than 8 weeks to go, and I will put that time to good use in securing a base figure for a Deadpool project! While the plethora of available Deadpool "figures" should come as no sur- prise, neither should the dearth of figures targeted at our "niche". In fact, there are but three: two by Eaglemoss (~75mm lead alloy and 90mm bonded resin pre-paints), and one by Knight Mo- dels (70mm white metal kit).

Knight Models. This is the last 70mm Marvel figure released by this company. I have never seen this figure "in the metal", and I will admit that I almost 'bit' when I found one for just over US$50 just before the Atlanta Show this year, but. . . we are talking Knight Models! Personally, I find this figure to be too derivative of their earlier Daredevil release, with the design doing little to show- case the mouthy walking arsenal. In fact, this is a self-contained diorama that would have been better served by a standing, snarky DP interacting with the graffiti and/or flyers on the wall; not as a virtually "off-stage" filler.

Eaglemoss. First released was the lead-alloy figurine in their Classic Marvel series, no. 56. The smaller of these two pieces is quite clunky, lacking any sense of style, grace--or attitude. Quite disappointing actually. . .

Which brings us to the winner of the selection process: Eaglemoss' Deadpool Special, no. 5 in their Marvel Fact Files series. . .



These are 120mm (to the eyes), bonded-resin, multi-piece figures. As to how many pieces com- prise the subject of this review, I will let you know once the figure emerges from the "purple bath".

This is the best of the lot, but it is far from "perfect". The TDL is well underway. . . 

More to follow. . .

When the cost of a hobby exceeds the fun and doesn't attract new people, the game is over.” -
Oscar Koveleski, August 2003

No comments:

Post a Comment