08 April 2017

Negan - Prepwork IV: The Boots

There are three critical items that must be addressed if you decide to rework Eaglemoss's Negan:
  • Lucille
  • The jacket
  • The boots

Lucille is already well underway, so I will refer you to that posting. That leaves me with the figure itself. Where to begin?. . . As is my wont, I usually start from the bottom, and work my way up. So the boots it is! 

The boots as provided are a joke! While the master costumers at TWD are not averse in the least to creating custom items for the cast, Negan's boots are essentially "off the shelf" items. I will not insult your intelligence by telling you the 'make and model' of the footwear--it takes but a few seconds to nail it down. . . 

So what is wrong with the boots as provided?  First and foremost, the shaft is too long. I strongly suspect that this was a primary contributor to the proportional nightmare we see. Along these lines, the overall proportions of the boots are shot! Secondly, no seam-work whatsoever is pre- sent. These are heavy-leather workboots, and given the scale, a constructional layering should be evident. Finally, as I already mentioned, one of the buckles was sheared off in the clean-up of the casting. What I didn't mention, is that both ankle straps and their buckles were entirely left- off!

I have already addressed the length of the shaft when rescaling the figure. What follows is essentially the resculpting of the boots. To date, I have roughly bulked-up the boots with MS. Now comes the fun part. . . 

More to follow. . .

When the cost of a hobby exceeds the fun and doesn't attract new people, the game is over.” -
Oscar Koveleski, August 2003

No comments:

Post a Comment