03 May 2009

"Bride of Kong" (1)

I decided to take a day-off from Wolfie, and simply "play around". I worked a little on the MitBH and the BoF before directing my attention to Ann. Firstly let me just say that I have had this kit for nearly 2 weeks, and in that time have assembled (minus the arms), filled (minimal), and "cleaned" it: very straightforward with nary a fuss, no more than 2 hrs. all told.

What I did today was start prepping "the canvas" for the putty work to follow. My first goal is to enhance the likeness: the face is extremely caricaturish, largely due to the "Little Annie Fanny" eyes and epically-proportioned 'do. In fact, it would be easier to make the face into LAF than Ann Darrow! So I started off by grinding out the eyes, and tentatively reducing the hair and face. Again, these are just "broad", sketchy strokes.

I spent a bit more time on the body. I intend to depict Ann after Kong has made shambles of her dress. To this end, I began resculpting the left side of her bodice into her camisole/teddy. I also roughed-in some of the rent fabric on what remained of the bodice, and some volumetric drapery on the skirt.

All in all, an enjoyable and productive few hours at the bench. . .

04.05.2009

I spent an enjoyable few hours tonight refining the "sketch". The face, though still very much a fluid work in-progress, is now past the 50% percentile mark. The putty-work on the dress is all-but-done--though the right side will be put "on hold" until the arm is permanently attached. I figure that by this time next week, I'll be ready to put her away and resume the finishing on Wolfie. . .

05.05.2009

PHASE I of the face is now done!!!! I'll post images before putting her away to resume work on Wolfie; but in the meantime. . . BACK TO THE BENCH!

09.05.2009

PHASE II of the face is just about done! All that is really left to do is model the eyeballs. Once those are in, I have to spend a little more time on the nose, and then it will be all about the hair. So far. . . I'm delighted!

2 comments:

  1. Hello! I only just now discovered your wonderful blog, so I hope that things are still "business as usual", and that more entries will be forthcoming. I found your blog, while searching for information on the "Bride of Kong" model kit. Your last entry about this kit was in 2009 - and, at that time, your modification attempts to make her look more like the actual Fay Wray depiction of Ann Darrow seemed to be going along swimmingly. Did you ever finish this project? I would love to know how she turned out. Thank you! Best regards, John Weber

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning, good sir!

      First of all, welcome aboard! And thank you for your kind comments!! And I am delighted to say that, for the foreseeable future, I fully intend to keep this journal on an active footing.

      Good Lord, has it truly been nearly 8 years since this project was launched? Unfortunately, that is the fate of many (most?) of my announced projects. 2009 was particularly bad year for completions, as I was transitioning out of the historical arena for a more eclectic, diverse approach to the hobby.

      "King Kong" is one of my all-time favourite movies, on the screen AND behind the scenes. So, while this project was never completed, it may very well resume its place on the bench by mid-Summer, as I am definitely getting in a Kong mood again.

      Again, thank you for your comments. I hope you will visit often, and continue to avail yourself of the availability of the "Comments".

      Best regards,

      Augie

      Delete