26 May 2009

Erik, the Opera Ghost--Act I: The Face/Head

Erik. . . the Opera Ghost. . . the Phantom of the Opera. . . call him what you will. Though Claude Rains (Universal 1943 remake), Herbert Lom (Hammer 1962), Michael Crawford (stage), and [countless?] others have breathed life into this iconic character, Lon Chaney, Sr. undeniably made Erik his own. To paraphrase his son, the Phantom was his baby.

Or should that be babies? I have recently discovered how challenging it can be to sculpt a credible likeness of the Opera Ghost. Unlike other subjects, primary and secondary references abound: from movie stills to excellent 3-d likenesses--sculpture, masks, etc. Yet while they are all recognizable as the Phantom, they can all be noticeably, even significantly, different. So I will rephrase my original question. "Can there be a definitive likeness of Chaney's Phantom?"

The answer is, "Yes". . . and decidedly, "No!" Few will argue that Chaney was a master of his craft elevating it to an art form. But only upon researching this silent classic was the genius unveiled. Very simply put, there can be no definitive Phantom because the Phantom was not only a multitude of ad hoc expressions, but most importantly an illusion--truly an apparition!--created by variegated makeup and lighting. One can give form to what we see, but we have to accept that the image captured in putty or clay probably never truly existed!

I now present the Phase II head with the the facial reconstruction at a still [somewhat] crude, semi-finished-but-still-rough stage. While I have sculpted the lower teeth in situ, the maxillary dentition has been sculpted as a separate appliance [NOTE: the separate appliance has now been permanently attached and the upper lip slightly extended.].

I am not quite there yet, but it is gradually emerging. . .



30.05.2009

I am now well into Phase III, and I am comfortable saying that I am fast upon the home stretch. There is still some tweaking to be done, but the overall "lines" are now present, and I think that once the hair and eyes are done, it will all come together splendidly.

31.05.2009

The left eye (orb, lids, etc.) is all but done; the right eye has been modelled and awaiting the lids, etc. I should have a final--or near-final--image to show you by this time next week. Then the wretched Erik will be returned to his box to await his turn on the bench. . . The performance will in all likelihood resume with Act II sometime next year.

03.06.2009

I am so pleased with the way the headsculpt is turning out that I am considering exploring what options might be available to me to broaden its "distribution". It would certainly be an 1/8th scale bust--yes, I have a particular depiction in mind. Once the head is completely done, my next step will be to contact Chaney Entertainment: I would not pursue this without their blessing and permission. Stay tuned!

06.06.2009

The Phase III head. . .



The headsculpt is now all-but-done. Clean-up has begun in earnest, and I should have no more than an hour or two of work remaining before the face is completed. I am as of yet undecided whether to cut an intermediate mold at this point; or proceed with the hair. . .

12.06.2009

Just about there. . . There was something not quite right with the mandible and chin that, in spite of the fact that a significant degree of any Phantom likeness will be brought about by the paint job. I think I've "fixed" the problem and I'll certainly know by this time tomorrow. In any event, my goal is to have this completed--and hopefully in rubber!--by the end of the weekend.

2 comments:

  1. Augie,

    This all sounds very interesting! I'm looking forward to the ip shots.I'm sure they will be impressive and give us a look of what Chaney wanted for his Erik.

    Lloyd

    P.S. STILL no word on our bust yet!! :-(:-(:-(

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's getting there. . . My first attempt at the upper dentures was a fiasco: I had not reduced the mouth cavity sufficiently and the putty locked-in. So I chipped everything out and tried again. . . BINGO!!! It works like a charm AND looks great. Unfortunately, once I permanently attach it, nobody will be able to tell; but I will take photos of the appliance "uninstalled".

    I think I'll take a break from the bench tonight and just do some reading. . .

    Thanks!

    A~

    ReplyDelete