17 October 2009

"Tzitzimitl" - Intermezzo

As I am fast approaching commencing the finishing phase of the project, it was time to reassess the work to date. . . and all was not right.

Most of the "issues" revolve around the m-h and the head. In short, I should have removed the head at the outset and worked the project in two distinct subassemblies, as opposed to a single main structure with accessory items. To this end, I have now removed the head (at the neck), will permanently attach the head within the m-h, and model all the interior details of the m-h, most of which will now be accessible. This will also allow me to reposition the head to its most effective pose vis-à-vis the enhanced m-h, rather than adapt (or accept) the original pose.

Some of you will immediately FF to the fact that I will not have free access to a bare head while painting, and you would be correct. But this is no big deal. In fact, it will mean less to paint, and only those structures that will remain visible will have to be painted.

17.10.2009--UPDATE
I have finished reworking the neck and the corresponding socket; and the collar has been reworked and the first of the tlahuiztli ties (the tlahuiztli as an open-backed garment was closed with 3-5 ties) has been roughed-in. I can deal with these sorts of "setbacks" . Final finishing will hopefully be underway by next weekend.

18.10.2009
The second of the visible ties has now been roughed-in, and detailing work has begun along the collar. I have also roughed-in the left ear spool on the m-h. I should be able to permanently join head and m-h in the next 24-48 hrs. The next major installment will address the undersides of the bust and addition of the pedestal.

19.10.2009
The pedestal is now about 80% done. . . which means roughed-in, with finishing well underway. I will probably hold-off final finishing and polishing until the project is all-but-done, as I might have to reassess the pose once the h-m panache is in place: quetzal feathers can easily throw a figure "off-balance", esthetically, if not literally. And. . . the "back" of the left ear spool is now done, with the right ear spool roughed-in. Slowly, but surely. . .

2 comments:

  1. Don't we all love having to redirect our efforts mid stride?! I agree with your thoughts however and continue to look forward to your progress. As I get further on my current projects, I will begin work on this same piece and it will be interesting to see how we both tackle the same issues. I would love to see more from you on available references for these subjects as my library is now extremely limited (having been converted into a large metal HD object from York PA a few years back).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not so much switching horses, as getting kicked in the head for ignoring the obvious at the outset. Still, the worst is over, and I should have the reworked neck completed by tomorrow.

    Available references? That's gonna be a toughy. There are two critical sources for this tlahuiztli: the Codex Mendoza and the Codex Moctezuma (better known as the Matrícula de Tributos, although the Codex Mendoza--or at least a significant portion of it--is also referred to by the same title, which adds to the confusion, to say nothing of frustration.) Most of the Western "historical modelling" references are oblivious to the Codex Moctezuma, so we get to see the same ol' depictions from the Codex Mendoza rehashed time and again--or worse!

    Hope this helps!

    Augie

    ReplyDelete