11 October 2009

"Tzitzimitl" - Phase II: The Torso

Those of you who have been following this project will know that the first step is to model the ichcahuipilli, which will be applied in two pieces, poncho-style. Normally, I would quilt the garment, but since it will be all-but-hidden from view by the tlahuiztli (overall), my primary goal is to add the necessary volume to the torso.



The torso is now curing in the oven. The next step will be to cover the arms with the sleeves of the tlahuiztli, and add the integrating drapery.

12.10.2009
The sleeves and collar of the tlahuiztli have been roughed-in. I have now commenced working on the drapery and surface finishing.

13.10.2009
This evening, I attempted to model the padding on the inside of the m-h while still retaining the stand-alone capability of the same, but it is simply not possible. Thus, the visible padding will be modelled and painted in situ once the m-h is permanently attached. I did, however, successfully restore the fringe/bangs on the forehead of the subject.

14.10.2009
The reconfiguration of the h-m has begun in earnest. I am trying to take it slow and easy in anticipation of the receipt of the MdT, although this invaluable reference will not come into its own until it comes time to surface detail the tlahuiztli and break out the paints. However frustrating working the h-m might be, it is also the part of the project I enjoy the most.

More to follow. . .

3 comments:

  1. Hi Augie,

    I'm sorry that I've been so delinquent in posting on this wonderful project. Definately an area of historicity near and dear to my heart. It looks as if you have a base canvas good enough to see this project fully realized. I know with both your vision and ability it will turn into quite a stunning piece!!1 Keep the images coming!! I surely look forward to each and every posting!

    Lloyd

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey guy!

    Thanks for the kind words. The base figure is certainly good enough; however, the sad truth is that one would probably be better off starting from scratch. Still, you know how I enjoy the converting process; and these types of reclamations rarely fail to provide a nugget or two of invaluable insight.

    Things will slow down some in the next few days as I [im]patiently await the arrival of the Codex Moctezuma: that latter is to the 'tzitzimitl tlahuiztli' what the Primeros Memoriales is to the coyotl variant.

    DEFINITELY more to follow. . .

    ReplyDelete
  3. Augie,

    That sounds REALLY good. I look forward to seeing the project progress!! This subject and period of human history is utterly fascinating to me. I thoroughly enjoy seeing pieces dipicting this period as much or more than any other. I find their societies incredably rich and full. Keep it coming mes amis!!

    Lloyd

    ReplyDelete