18 April 2010

RIP--Richard Hook (1938-2010)

In a recent exchange with Stephen Turnbull, I learned of the recent passing of one of the Dons of historical illustration.

For an excellent overview of Mr. Hook's life and career, I can do no better than direct you to Martin Windrow's remembrance. As for me, he opened my eyes to the possibilities of modeling Feudal Japan in miniature in his first Osprey commission, Samurai Armies 1550-1615 (MAA86; Osprey, 1979)--thirty years later, his vibrant and evocative work in this field has not lost an iota of its 'power', and as I mentioned to Prof. Turnbull, I believe his work in Hatamoto is amongst his best.

A devoted student of Native American history, his contributions in this field are perhaps for what he will best be remembered--and rightfully so. However, for this admirer, artist, and historian, the vacancy left by his passing for the pre-eminent illustrator of feudal Japanese military subjects will not soon be filled.

Belated and heartfelt condolences to his family, friends, and colleagues.

AJR

No comments:

Post a Comment