22 July 2011

What can one do with Mister Honk?

Mister Honk, by virtue of its x-treme pose, is a figure that you either love right away. . . or you relegate it to the B-list.

I was one of the latter. Great subject, and certainly a great sculpt. . . but when it was all said and done, "What do you do with it?"

Well, a couple of thoughts immediately come to mind. For fans of the DCU, there is the makings of a pretty neat, if leaner, Gorilla Grodd, or his benevolent counterpart, Solovar. Obviously, those more ambitious miniaturists can try their hand at one of the PotA's militant gorillas. Me? Well, one of my favourite Martian species in Edgar Rice Burroughs' Barsoomian series is the Great White Apes of Barsoom, and I thought I'd take a stab at it before the market gets inundated with figurines from next year's cinematic release.

The challenge facing any miniaturist wishing to do a Barsoomian White Ape is much the same as one wishing to model a Green Martian: integrating a second set of arms/legs in a convincing and anatomically plausible fashion. White Apes and Green Martians had a pair of arms and a pair of legs--and in-between a pair of limbs that could serve as legs and/or arms! To this end, I acquired two kits of the rampaging primate.

I've yet to decide how I am going to tackle this. Needless to say, I've dug-up and dusted-off my primate anatomy books that were my constant companion for 2 academic quarters many moons ago. I'm surrounded by at least four legal-size xeroxes of a gorilla skeleton. And while I am no closer to a solution, I am having a ball!!!

More to follow. . .

No comments:

Post a Comment