31 July 2011

Tars Tarkas -- Prepwork (1)

The more I handle and study this figure, the more I like it!

To date, I have done two things:
  • Lowered the height of the pedestal. Whether by coincidence or design, Andrew thoughtfully marked-off three tiers at the business end of the pedestal. This is a rather large bust, and being solid-cast resin, relatively heavy. Handling weight is not a concern; "display weight" is: the figure could be somewhat top-heavy. So I simply cut off the first "tier", thus lowering the figure on its pedestal. I might go for second reduction once the mods are completed.
  • I have roughed-in the front main section of the Thark war harness. I haven't finished the design of the harness yet, but I needed something more palpable than a 2-d'al sketch to work out the details. So the roughly-shaped MS harness is now curing on the figure: once completely cured, I will sketch out the areas to be reduced and then pop-it off the figure. The harness will be constructed in at least four pieces.
And that is it for now. More to follow. . .

FOLLOW-UP . . . With the harness section cured, I pegged it to the figure in situ using 1/16" brass tubing. The harness was then popped off the bust, and placed in the oven to "hard cure". I then counter-sunk the exposed ends of the tubing, checked the fit, and started marking off the areas to be reduced. So far, so great!

No comments:

Post a Comment