02 August 2011

Red Skull #3--Andrea's Reinhard Heydrich

I started my first full-figure rendition of the Red Skull just three weeks-shy of a year ago. Now, I have an ip bust and full-figure on the bench, soon to be joined by what will be my last dance with Herr Johann. . .

I have just received Andrea Miniatures' 90mm rendition of Reinhard Heydrich in 1937. You can well imagine my trepidation regarding this acquisition--especially given my past experiences with this manufacturer, and my experience with this project's immediate precursor. BUT. . . the uniform and pose are exactly what I was seeking, and the price was right. Nothing ventured. . . nothing gained.

This figure was released in June, 2007, the first in the manufacturer's 90mm "The Third Reich -- Rise & Fall" series. Admittedly, a strange choice for a series, to say nothing of a premiere subject! Regardless, Andrea has released some real gems in this series, and if my sample of Heydrich is any indication of what a miniaturist can expect, then they will not feel at all short-changed!

On the whole, this is an EXCELLENT kit! The castings (8 pcs. + base) are a throwback (comeback?) to happier times: Andrea at its best! On a historical note, I don't believe that the boxart, or any number of the build-ups on the Web, do justice to the portraiture of Heydrich. It is actually quite good! The detail is crisp throughout, most notably on the sword, which I will regrettably not include in my conversion.

As to the project, fairly straight OOB! Some slight mods to the left leg to delete the belting associated with the sword; tweaking of decorations, etc.; and - of course - remodelling the head and adding the cigarette holder.

I will start clean-up (VERY little to be done) and assembly in short order, but this is a Fall project.

Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment