06 August 2011

Tars Tarkas -- Prepwork (2): The Harness

As I mentioned in the introduction to, and the review of, this bust, the Barsoomian war harness is virtually the only article of clothing worn by a Martian warrior, regardless of "race".

I will be the first to admit that I have yet to conceptualize the "small" picture of a Thark war harness. I know what it looks like (what I want it to look like) from "afar", but the details are very vague--at best. Part of the problem is a dependence on the source material, in spite of the dearth of details as provided by ERB.

I have just concluded roughing-in the right shoulder strap of the harness. A design I keep coming back to is a pared-down, open- backed version of a kataginu, in leather of course. Aside from liking the esthetics of the look, it will add depth and an added dimension to the bust.

More to follow. . .

No comments:

Post a Comment