03 August 2011

Red Skull #3--Into the breach. . .

It was a short lived honeymoon; but to look on the bright side, at least there was one!

I stand by my original review. Having said that, there is a world of difference between good castings and good fit! The castings are undeniably exquisite. The fit? Not so much. And save for a shrinkage differential between the torso and the arms, there is no apparent distortion.

Today, I removed the sword's scabbard mount, and assembled the legs, and the torso to the same. I now have a headless and armless figure before me. There is a significant gap (~1mm) along the entire mid-seam of the breeches, front to back. Yes, this could have been addressed by reducing the respective contact surfaces, but that would have compromised the fit of the torso.

The torso's fit to the legs unit was less than precise in the absence of a "key". Still, not a bad join with but a minimal fill along the back of the waist, below the belt. The main problem, as alluded to above, will be with the arms. These simply do not fit well, with the torso shrink- ing more than the limbs, and the right arm shrinking more than the left. I have yet to see a build-up that tackles this glaring issue, much less make mention of it.

I have yet to decide on how to approach this. Unfortunately, due to some poor judgement on the design of the hands, I can not remove the hands, hollow-out the sleeves, and model wrist stumps. Since the back of the right hand will be inaccessible to paint once the arm is mounted, the grief is compounded. . .

On the plus side, the separately cast cap fits the head like a glove! PERFECT!!

More to follow. . .

UPDATE - 04.08.11. . . After countless dry-fittings, burnishing contact surfaces, trimming mounting keys. . . you name it!. . . I decided that the only way to effectively take care of the "arm pro- blem" is to tackle it "old school". In other words, carefully fitting first one arm (I elected to start with the left as it would take two sessions at most), and then the next. I should be done with the left arm tonight; hopefully I'll be done with the right arm over the weekend. The right arm is a little more involved, as the sleeve will have to be substantially shimmed. . . as will the tunic upon which it rests.

Ah. . . the joys of figure painting!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Augie,

    I'm sorry to hear that you are having so much difficulty fitting Herr Schmitt's arms, but I must tell you I'm very excited with this project. I have always liked this piece and seeing it turned into the Red Skull is going to be a REAL treat!! I'm looking forward to all the progress!!

    ReplyDelete