12 May 2012

Black - & Gold - Magik Woman

I received a superb MB of New Mutant (X-Men) Magik earlier this week, and I couldn't be happier! This has been something of a "grail kit" for me--it's not that it's that difficult to acquire, it just took me a while to track down its source.

Illyana Rasputin, Magik, is the younger sister of X-Man Colossus. Her rather convoluted backstory can be perused at the above link, but suffice it to say that she is a sorceress who not only wields the Soulsword and can generate power-enhancing Eldritch armour, she also has a demonic alter-ego, the Darkchilde.

The kit is done to approximately 1/8th(?) scale in 9 exquisitely-cast pieces + base. The Soulsword alone is comprised of 4 pieces: left hand/grip; quillons/blade; and a 2-piece eldritch flame cast in clear resin! The normal base for this kit is a tapering, four-sided "X" pedestal; I received a weathered column that is the stock base for Wolfsbane. I don't know if the provider was out of X pedestals, but I much prefer the column as it provides greater support and a more esthetic balance to the piece. Clean-up could-be accomplished in little more than a couple of hours.

In my next installment, pending receipt of some reference material, I will outline what I have in mind for this piece. No major alterations, per se; rather a few targeted enhancements. Think Witchblade. . .

No comments:

Post a Comment