05 May 2012

Hal Jordan - Green Lantern of Sector 2814

As most of you know, I’m a self-proclaimed Marvel freak. Not quite a zombie about it, but close. For better or for worse – certainly worse for my wallet! – that has now changed. Hitherto, my interests in DC have been largely limited to Batman & Co., and Hawkman and Hawkgirl. I remember being rather fond of the Justice Society and Justice League, but these were little more than an extension of my aforementioned interests.

Enter the Lantern Corps. I was never much of a fan of the Green Lantern. No particular reason that I can recall, save that it was too sci-fi for my tastes. And it wasn’t a question of not liking it per se, it was worse – I was indifferent about the character!

The first major inroads by DC into my Marvel-ness was the Batman Vampire Trilogy. This was an Elseworlds imprint, which has provided many a memorable story.  Kingdom Come, featuring the magnificent artwork of Alex Ross and also an Elseworlds offering, was the turning point: Kingdom Come is, to me, the [near-]perfect example of a graphic novel. And then there was Blackest Night, my introduction to the full emotional spectrum of Lantern Corps, and a compelling trigger to my reassessment of the Green Lantern. . . .

I am now hooked! The Lantern Corps with their galactic diversity of characters are a one-stop superstore of  inspirational storytelling. Add to this the stellar work being provided by Resin Pimps, and I can honestly say I have not been this excited about comics OR the hobby in a VERY long time!

My first review, however, deals with a Moebius offering. Last year, Moebius released a kit (no. 924) of the Silver Age Green Lantern, Hal Jordan--Green Lantern of Space Sector 2814, which includes our Solar System. The kit depicts a scene from Green Lantern v.2, #4 (Jan.- Feb. 1961), where Hal fights Gnaxos, the robot champion of the Weaponers of Qward (future home of the Sinestro Corps).

This is a simple kit: 18 pieces total! It goes together very well, and assembly can be easily managed in a few hours. This would be an ideal first kit!

The “extra bonus” of this kit--and that which elevates it far beyond the status of “average”--are the hand-shaped construct holding Gnaxos down, and the ring flare from Hal’s power ring (parts #17 and 18, respectively): these are cast in green-tinted clear plastic! This begs for lighting effects!!

The provenance of this kit belongs to that era of Lantern history that did little or nothing for me or my imagination; hence, I am going to approach this kit a bit differently. My plan is to depict Green Lantern Hal Jordan at the time of the Blackest Night crisis event. All the elements of the diorama are in hand—all that’s left is to “do it”!

No comments:

Post a Comment