10 May 2018

Clown Prince of Arkham-Review and Prep I

I am the delighted recipient of Altores Studio's recent (February) release: Restless Patient (B-079, 1/10 scale bust) [nb: the bust was ordered from El Greco Miniatures--a pleasure as always!].

IMG-20180328-WA0011.jpg

What you get. This is an exquisitely cast (PERFECTION!) bust comprised of 6 pieces: the one-piece bust, 4 straitjacket belt-ends, and the right hand w/ straight razor. There is no pedestal/ plinth included in the kit. The resin is a bit "softer" than I prefer; but given the modifications I intend to undertake, the medium is ideal!

The bust as designed holds very little appeal, no matter the excellence of the sculpture or the casting; however, this was love at first sight! What a magnificent basis for a conversion to the Joker!! While the boxart makes no allusion to Mista' J, several build-ups that I have seen sport
a green 'do and noticeably pale skin, though the busts themselves were not subjected to any modification/s.

The required work, afaic, revolves around the face/head. I will give Mista' J a full head of hair, filling out the exposed skin at the site of the craniotomy; and I will rework the mouth/lips to a more tra- ditional psychotic smile. There are a few other enhancements on the TDL, but all in good time.

To date, I have roughed-in the hair, and I have begun working on the upper lip--a GREAT start!

Stay tuned!

PS--The bust has been pegged, and transferred to its work base.

When the cost of a hobby exceeds the fun and doesn't attract new people, the game is over.” -
Oscar Koveleski, August 2003

No comments:

Post a Comment