12 September 2018

Spidey - Painting: Cab--Painting (1)

It has been some 45 years since I last airbrushed an over-the-road vehicle: if memory serves, an AMT GMC Astro 95. In fact, it was the last wheeled vehicle I completed before moving on to fig- ures! So it should come as no surprise that I am a little bit trepidatious about the forthcoming watershed step in the project. . . 

After carefully masking the metallic, glass, and rubber areas, to say nothing of thoroughly clean- ing the airbrush, it was time to break out the paint. . .

I settled on Testor's Model Master Automotive enamels. While I will be the first to admit that it is not spot on colour-wise, it is more than close enough, especially given the scale and the area to be covered.

Phase 1 is now behind me. Once the paint is thoroughly dry (cured), I will lightly sand/finish the surface and evaluate whether a second sprayed coat is in order. . . 

FOLLOW-UP. . . While the paint is about 24-48 hrs from being cured, it is dry enough to initiate finishing. And after light wet-sanding and lightly buffing the surface, I am delighted to report that I have achieved a nice scale-finish and--as of this writing--it does not appear that a second coat of paint will be necessary. . . 

When the cost of a hobby exceeds the fun and doesn't attract new people, the game is over.” -
Oscar Koveleski, August 2003

No comments:

Post a Comment