16 September 2018

Spidey - Painting: Cab--Painting (4): Chrome Trim

The only remaining sub-sections to be done are the glass/windows and the chrome trim. And since the former cannot be addressed before the latter, I might as well get the ball rolling. . . 

There is only one way to get a true metallic finish: silver leaf or Bare Metal Foil (BMF). The prob- lem with both of these approaches is the relative sheen within the context of the presentation (i.e., scale effect). Yes, obviously I can tone it down to make it "fit", but why go to the additional expense and effort when a suitable analog can be achieved simply with paint?

I began the chrome travails with the fender trim and the door handle/lock. And my mediums of choice were G-S Mr. Metal Chrome Silver and silver printers' ink. Admittedly, the tonal contrast is not quite there, but the overall effect is more in line with the scale and desired visual flow than metallic tape would provide. . . Once the paint is thoroughly dry and I get a bit deeper into the weathering, I will consider introducing selective "hot-spots"/"catch-lights" with AK Xtreme Metal Chrome.

Stay tuned!

UPDATE 02.10.2018. . . Just tried the AK Xtreme Metal Chrome, and I must say I am rather pleased. I should say from the outset that this is an airbrush-only medium (VERY thin, and essentially non-buffable), but if used judiciously and carefully, can be applied with a brush to a limited area. It allowed me to achieve precisely the effects I was striving for! A word of caution: it is extremely "hot", and should only be used with adequate ventilation. 

When the cost of a hobby exceeds the fun and doesn't attract new people, the game is over.” -
Oscar Koveleski, August 2003

No comments:

Post a Comment