01 October 2018

Spidey - Painting: Cab--Painting (5): Glass

I took the respite provided by the blue oils drying to continue work on the final stage of the cab: the glass. 

I am satisfied with what I did; but frankly I am not pleased. IMO, this is a no-win situation. Even the Spanish and Russian maestros would be severely challenged by the limitations and geome- try of the canvas, and the scale of the piece. This is an artificial sub-text that must be made to "fit" AND remain secondary to the 3-dimensional aspects of the presentation. Finally, it is a fluid dynamic that is frozen in time, and while suspension of disbelief is an inherent requirement in what we do, I, for one, must draw the line somewhere.

To date, I have applied an achromatic glaze in oils, using the highlights to bolster the geometry of the canvas, as well as influencing the visual flow. I will be revisiting this during the remainder of the project  to tweak here and there as I perceive necessary, and finally seal it with gloss lacquer, before "weathering" it down. But for now, the cab is DONE!

When the cost of a hobby exceeds the fun and doesn't attract new people, the game is over.” -
Oscar Koveleski, August 2003

No comments:

Post a Comment