04 November 2018

Silver Savage-Prepwork 1: Anatomy and "Spaudler"

Before getting into the equipment "sub-projects", I wanted to "prep the canvas", as it were. One of the worse aspects of any Eaglemoss offering is the finishing of the casting. There is little if any consideration for the defining sculptural contours; where such consideration is manifest, the seamlines are ignored. Thus, the restoration of the canvas is a mix of filing and filling, with the attendant carving and sanding. 

The legs suffered the most in this instance of Eaglemoss's finishing--or lack thereof: I had to re- work the thighs, calves, and gluteals. The rest of the casting was adequately acceptable, save for the right bicep and left hand. All affected areas are now undergoing final finishing.

As I cannot begin to work on the greaves until the lower legs are done, I decided to begin work on what I will refer to as the "spaudler" (nb: I am not aware of a Roman term for the shoulder plate of a manica, so I will use the medieval term for the proto-pauldron.). This has now been roughed-in, and shaping/finishing is well underway.

Movin' right along. . . 

When the cost of a hobby exceeds the fun and doesn't attract new people, the game is over.” -
Oscar Koveleski, August 2003

No comments:

Post a Comment