22 March 2019

The Night King - Prep 2

This has been a somewhat transitory step, but the difference has been that I now have a dry-assembled figure before me, albeit fingerless. The head has been repositioned, tapped and pegged--as have the arms. Furthermore, the head has been fitted.

That about does it for today at the bench. I will spend the rest of my waking hours re-evaluating the relevancy of my research, and hopefully adding to the same.

Before closing, I would just like to make a few comments/observations. This is a VG+++ figure: 8.5/10. If not for the casting flaw on the dorsal half of the spaudler, I would give it a 9/10 without thinking twice! We will examine in-depth the design flaws in the armour that resulted in the loss of a full point when the time comes. I have encountered none of the assembly and/or fit problems encountered by reviewers in my example. As one reviewer noted:
You will need to do a fair amount of “old school” model making to assemble this ICM kit which is apparently a new line for them. The paint job is simple and the weathering will make the kit pop. Definitely more for the experienced builder who wants to get into figures and not for the casual GoT fan/novice modeler who thought it would be a good idea.
This is not the first time I have heard ""old school" model making" mentioned disparagingly, but I am none the wiser as to what "new school" model making might be. . . The "King of the Night" was ICM's tenth 1/16th scale release! The paint scheme is as "simple" as the miniaturist wants to make it; but, in my experience, monotone/monochromatic figures are some of the most chal- lenging--and enjoyable!--projects to undertake. I will concur that the more experience one brings to the table, the greater the likelihood of an overall enjoyable, positive undertaking. BUT. . . one can say that of any project! This figure is quite suitable for a beginner with basic modelling skills (old school?) who is observant, patient, and passionate.

Valar dohaeris!

When the cost of a hobby exceeds the fun and doesn't attract new people, the game is over.” -
Oscar Koveleski, August 2003

No comments:

Post a Comment