15 March 2019

The Night King

Early last year, ICM announced the mid-year release of a 1/16th scale (120mm) styrene kit of The Night King from HBO's Game of Thrones. As you can well imagine, I was over the moon about this! As it turned out, however, I was not at all impressed with what I saw in the Fall. . .

That was then and this is now. Mirroring my experience with ICM's Vatican Swiss Guard, once I got to see hi-res stills of the sprues, a sampling of video reviews, and a fair number of build-ups, only then did I realize the haste, to say nothing of the error, of my judgement.  

The kit is on order, and I should have it in hand early next week--I will review it once I have had an opportunity to examine the kit. In the meantime, the project is slowly taking form and this is my TDL/project notes to date:
  • I intend to completely refinish the armour. This is unequivocally the weakest aspect of the kit on all counts; and while refinishing will be tedious, it will not be difficult if well planned.
  • There are two versions that can be done, which I have referred to as "light armoured" and "full armoured". The kit as provided is the "light armoured" version, and this is the one I intend to do, based on the appearance of the Night King in Season 5, Episode 8: "Hardhome". 
  • I do not recall the Night King ever being armed if not "full armoured"; hence, my itera- tion will not include the ice sword. NOTE: while the ice sword is a very welcome in- clusion, it is neither accurate--nor aesthetically complimentary.
  • I intend to reposition and reanimate the arms.
  • I will rework the sigil.

When the cost of a hobby exceeds the fun and doesn't attract new people, the game is over.” -
Oscar Koveleski, August 2003

No comments:

Post a Comment