01 June 2019

The Night King - Painting III: Groundwork 1

I originally intended to distress, stain, and weather the basswood "naturally" to achieve an orga- nic contrast to the painted figure. But when I started the foundational mottling that would provide the sub-surface effects of the water, I began to reconsider. . . ultimately deciding to paint the pier!

Phase I of the painting is now done! I "primed" the pier with Lifecolor UA717 Cold Base Color. I then carefully oversprayed the "primed" pier with LC UA713 Warm Dark Shade. I will allow this basecoat to dry; "defuzz" the surfaces by sanding; and re-paint. This will yield the final, working basecoat for weathering/finishing. . .

When the cost of a hobby exceeds the fun and doesn't attract new people, the game is over.” -
Oscar Koveleski, August 2003

No comments:

Post a Comment