07 June 2019

The Night King - Painting I: The Lower Half

If you have an unequivocally matte, toothy surface, then you will wonder how you ever did without the AK-I Weathering Pencils! Anything but, and your response will run the gamut. Me? I'm not bowled-over to the extent I had anticipated (hoped?), but they definitely are a useful tool that will see a considerable amount of use, especially on the scale modelling front. . . 

So. . . while this will not be the first figure I "paint" in pencils, it may very well be the first figure that will be painted predominantly in non-oils! The lower right leg is done and curing in the oven-- 
I can honestly say that it was one of the most enjoyable brush sessions I have ever had! The final weathering is still to come, and I may begin the process later tonight. . . 

As a sidebar note, I intend to limit the oils as the primary medium to the breeches and the ex- posed flesh--and possibly the vambraces. . .

08.06.2019--Phase I of the legs is now DONE! In anticipation of what is to follow, I have perma- nently attached the gambeson skirt to the legs. . . FOLLOW-UP--The gambeson skirt has been basecoated and Phase I shaded--all acrylics. 

10.06.2019--The gambeson skirt is now highlighted. I used the AK-I Weathering Pencils from the B&W set, and the Liquid Pigments (LPs) from LC's Hulls & Wooden Decks set. Accent high- lights were applied with Flake White (oil). 

11.06.2019--Phase II shading (including outlining and tonal contrasts) has begun. . . It will not be considered done until final finishing.

When the cost of a hobby exceeds the fun and doesn't attract new people, the game is over.” -
Oscar Koveleski, August 2003

No comments:

Post a Comment