20 September 2022

Tywin Lannister (Bust)-Painting - Oils (3): The Armour (pt. 1)--Spaulders

Today I completed the first installment of the visible armour.  I elected to start with the left spaulder, which is essentially under the draping sash. 

The brass-plated and -appliqued portions were painted with metallic printers' inks. I have basically a "complete" range of metallics, from lacquers to acrylics; but given the delicate sculpting, and the relative lack of accessibility in certain areas, I decided to go with my 'turn-to' medium. And the results to-date have amply vindicated my choice. . . 

Once the inks were dry, I cut-in the black base of the armour with oils. When these have dried, I will re-touch and execute final weathering of the brass metallics.

Before closing, I would point out that "research"--if you elect to do it--is rather critical. BUT. . . "in for a penny. . . " If you are going to selectively apply your research, and free-style the balance, then you would probably be better-served by "free-styling" the entire work.

So far, so very good. . .

When the cost of a hobby exceeds the fun and doesn't attract new people, the game is over.” -
Oscar Koveleski, August 2003

No comments:

Post a Comment