08 September 2022

Tywin Lannister (Bust)-Painting - UCing

Today was a bit of a hectic day, but I did manage to undercoat the "crimsons"--armour and sash. 

Unfortunately, it was only after I uc'd the sash that I noticed the braided piping along the lateral edges was not included in the sculpture/casting!!! This is what happens when you let your guard down, and opt for an essentially OOB project!! I suppose it could have been worse. . .  I added the braided piping with tin solder, carefully tacking it in place with CA+. 

AND. . . shortcoming #2. . .  Everything I have read indicates that this was a crimson velvet sash; however, if you look at the stills carefully, you will notice that the sash was reversible. While the display side was usually crimson velvet, the underside was a black/gold brocade! .

I will probably start uc'ing the black tonight, and finish uc'ing the plate tomorrow. . .

FOLLOW-UP. . . The bust is now uc'd! After a critical once-over, I decided to re-do the piping along the edges of the sash. Not fun at all, but definitely worth the investment of time and effort! 

The only portion of the bust remaining to be uc'd is the pedestal. I will not begin to consider the colouration of the critical support until the oils are well underway. . . 

UPDATE - 11.09.2022. . . The  face/head is now uc'd. . . time to break-out the oils!

When the cost of a hobby exceeds the fun and doesn't attract new people, the game is over.” -
Oscar Koveleski, August 2003

No comments:

Post a Comment