13 April 2011

REVIEW--Arlith, the Silent Shadow

You might recall reading that Andrea's Arlith, the Silent Shadow was my first choice as a base figure for a SP version of The Huntress. As a standalone, dynamic piece, something that I will in all probability do in the relatively near future, she still tops the list! But for now. . .

Be that as it may, Arlith deserves her 15 minutes! The petite 54mm figure is truly delightful! A somewhat scantily-clad, caped-and-hooded thief or assassin--the incarnation of a female Grey Mouser!--is perched on a tiled rooftop, precariously balanced while casting her grappling hook. My eyes were pretty much burned-out by the week- end of the show, so I quickly dismissed the idea of tackling a petite 54 sometime in the future; but my recent progress with Miss Liddell has prompted a reassessment.

And so, forcing aside any qualms due to Andrea's less-than-stellar quality control and CS, I ordered the kit--it arrived Saturday. Inspect- ing the factory-sealed box led to a sinking feeling in my gut: there, next to the © notice, were the 3 dreaded words. . . MADE IN CHINA. I put the box aside . . .

Late Sunday morning, I finally broke the seals of the box and removed the contents. Sandwiched between the familiar strip of doubled-over, medium-density foam were 10 white-metal pieces: 3 main pieces (cape; body - minus arms, head, and right leg; and roof section); and 7 secondary pieces in a heat-sealed cellophane bag.

Overall, the casting quality is excellent! There are a few spots which are so-so, but these are unobtrusive and perhaps even by design. I have yet to test the fit of the secondary parts, but the cape fits to the body seamlessly. At least as of this writing, this is one the better, if not best, Andrea kits I have ever seen or handled--and the second VG+ or better from this manufacturer in less than a year! If Andrea has truly turned a corner, kudos to them!

No comments:

Post a Comment