14 April 2011

SP Oracle -- PRE-preliminaries - INTERMEZZO

This is the week for swapping out mounts in the middle of the wet stuff. . . We've already seen my rearranging the cast and compo- sition of the Birds of Prey diorama; and now. . .

I decided to use a replacement head for Mistress Gordon. There was nothing wrong with my first female head in 1/35th scale; quite the contrary! But there were two issues:
  1. Scale. While undoubtedly visually proportionate, if I were to eliminate the hair, the head would be noticeably undersized; however, that alone would not have made me reconsider. . .
  2. The real issue lay in that it was fine as a standalone piece. But in an interactive setting, the head would have to be reposi- tioned. And that was the opening salvo in what would be a long, losing struggle.
So I am now modifying (read: sizing and fitting) a resin replacement head. So far, so good; but the lion's share of the work awaits, inclu- ding rebuilding the collar, etc., thereby allowing me to keep the head as a separate, "plug & play" piece.

While still early in the game, I can see where this venture is starting to acquire quite a bit more complexity and depth than initially anti- cipated. Thus my first mini-diorama in ages will be a long-term, back-burner project, which will free me up for individual pieces. All for a good cause. . .

FOLLOW-UP - 16.04.11. . . The replacement head has been sized and coiffured--all that remains is to add the ears. It has also been fitted into a Phase I collar: roughed-in but no detail work as of yet. If there is no extensive reworking awaiting to be done, this has to be one of the simplest and more straightforward mods to undertake.

No comments:

Post a Comment