21 August 2019

White Walker - Prepwork 5: The Ice Spear

The fact that I have thread dedicated to the ice spear tells you, the reader, my decision re: the quandary presented in Intermezzo (1). . . 

While I applaud the inclusion of a clear-cast weapon, the haft, in this case, is a bit of a head-scratcher: why the symmetrical, circumferential crenellations--unlike the prototype?

The hafts of the Walker weapons were covered in wrapped 'leather'. Hence, I cut the spearhead from the haft, with a half-inch or so 'tang', that I then carefully ground down to fit the opening of a 3/32 d. brass tube. . . 

More to follow. . . 

24.08.2019--The ice spear is all-but-done. I replicated the wrapping using Aizu Project 2.0mm Micron masking tape. Once in place, I lightly "rubbed" ZAP CA superglue over the haft to seal the wrapping. Perfect! I will attempt to replicate the fringing with Aizu Project 0.4mm Micron masking tape, tin solder, and/or wire. But that is down the road. . . 

Finally, I have begun to carefully scrape-off the bindings on the spear blade. The problem with molded bindings on a clear blade is the fact that they are molded en suite will be readily appa- rent once they are painted. . .  

When the cost of a hobby exceeds the fun and doesn't attract new people, the game is over.” -
Oscar Koveleski, August 2003

No comments:

Post a Comment