16 August 2019

White Walker - Prepwork 3: The Pteruges and "Kilt"

The pteruges are cast in four sections. Each "strip"--the pteruges is comprised of 17 strips--is sectioned in four pieces.

Comments/observations:
  •  I don't know how many strips comprise the pteruges, as I have not seen a rear view of a walker..The rear section of the pteruges has been depicted in any number of ways.
  • The central three front strips are solid, not sectioned. It is reasonable to conclude that 4 strips of the rear panel of the pteruges are likewise unsegmented/solid.
  • Each of the lateral strips are sectioned in 4 and five pieces. The 2 shorter strips on either side of the solid front central strips have 4 sections, the rest 5.
I have begun by smoothing/thinning the strips on the front panel of the pteruges . I will section the lateral 2 strips on either side of the central solid 3 into four and five segments.

As a sidebar note, the walkers wore a tattered garment ("kilt") under the pteruges. I intend to add this garment, though I have yet to determine the medium to be used.   

17.08.2019--The kilt has been roughed-in.

This may very well be a first of numerous attempts, as I have no idea on how it is going to work out. I had contemplated using sheet lead or paper as my medium, but when I sat at the bench this morning, the Aves "called" to me. . . So I rolled-out a very thin sheet of Aves Apoxie Sculpt, and roughly tore it into panels corresponding to the sections of the pteruges. I tacked those pie- ces in place and overlaid the pteruges. [NB: the fit is VERY good, and the 'dressed' walker cer- tainly looks the part! KUDOS, ICM!!]  

And now we wait. . .
FOLLOW-UP--I am delighted to report that the first attempt was an unquali- fied SUCCESS! There is some "trimming and tacking" to be done; but, overall, it exceeds expec- tations!! 

When the cost of a hobby exceeds the fun and doesn't attract new people, the game is over.” -
Oscar Koveleski, August 2003

No comments:

Post a Comment