11 March 2009

GEOmetric's 1/4 "The Bride of Frankenstein" bust--INTRO

This project is more in line with what most of my readers are used to seeing me tackle; hence, I am taking it slow and easy, picking it up every third day or so. . .

The piece is GEOmetric Designs' 1/4 scale bust of Elsa Lanchester as "The Bride of Frankenstein", sculpted by Jeff Yagher. Mr. Yagher is one of the best known GK sculptors in the biz, and not without good reason. Unfortunately, I do not feel that this is one of his better works, though the casting was certainly nowhere near the quality of that of "The Mummy".

My sample of this kit is also one of the original castings; however, whereas "The Mummy" was an AAA+++ casting, I would be hard pressed to give "The Bride" a C+. It reminded me of the casting quality of the bust of "Nosferatu" I did over a decade ago; on the plus side, this was a "clean" casting.

Work began on this piece the day after the Atlanta Show. Clean-up will be extensive, but the major shortcomings have already been addressed: a severe step on the back of the neck; and restoring the texture on the bottom edge of the gown. The masterfully sculpted hair (including the accurately offset temporal "blazes") will have to be examined carefully (air holes and voids) prior to priming.

Now for the fun part. . . The face will require considerable restorative efforts to get it "right".



[You may click on each thumbnail individually]


The images are fairly self-explanatory to this point. The restorative work, still very much in its early stages, can be readily seen as the grey-green MS. The "scenic base" has been extensively modified (read: reduced; see below): additional work will be forthcoming.

As I knew this piece would hit my bench this year, the weeks leading up to Atlanta were spent compiling an extensive "folder" of shots of Ms. Lanchester in--and out(!)--of make-up. This makes the work so much easier--and hopefully the end-product that much better.

As with "The Mummy", I took a chance on the aftermarket scenic base. In keeping with the underlying theme of this posting, this one doesn't work quite as well. This is really nobody's fault: a bust with a 180° orientation is very difficult to pose without creating a LOT of dead space! As you can see in the above image, most of the "reducing" has been already done (the base was "trimmed" at both ends). Those of you familiar with the base will immediately notice the elimi- nation of the molded nameplate. . . is ANYBODY not familiar with The Bride? And if they aren't, will the nameplate serve any purpose?? Now I have an approximately circular pedestal that will provided ample support and center the subject on its presentation base.

More to follow. . .

4 comments:

  1. Augie,

    This project is sounding just GREAT! The amount of research you've done already is very impressive. I can't wait to see the work you have done so far and how she looks on the pedestal you've selected for her. I'm sure she looks fine , but can't picture exactly how you have her.
    I look forward to your first ip posting !!

    Keep up the GOOD work!!:):):)

    Lloyd

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, my friend. And welcome!

    The research is just beginning--there is MUCH to assimilate and then integrate into the painting portion of the project. I have a definite "vision" of what the final piece will look like, but the choice of colours will be every bit as critical as how I apply them: there will be little room for error!

    In the meantime, the base is virtually done, but I am almost certain that there will be slight mods and tweaks once I have the presentation base available to me.

    Hopefully, I will be able to post some pics in the next few days. . .

    Until then,

    A~

    ReplyDelete
  3. Augie,

    WOW, what else can I say. Elsa is going to be a real show "STOPPER"!! I think you have a very nice canvas in which to work, and then take it to another level with ALL the impressive and volumenous research you have conducted!
    I'll follow your progress with GREAT anticipation!!

    Lloyd

    ReplyDelete
  4. Merci, cher!

    From your mouth to the ears of the Muses! There's a lot of work ahead of me, but I am enjoying it immensely. The exercise with both versions of Toyotomi is paying handsome dividends, as it has made my approach to portraiture more methodical and disciplined, and less haphazard. It's a little slower, but eminently more enjoyable and I feel the results are noticeably better.

    Stay tuned!

    A~

    ReplyDelete