26 March 2009

Site Navigation

In the course of chatting with a few of the stalwarts in the last few days, a common lament was the "non-linear" nature of the blog (vs. the compartmentalized internally-sequential threads in a bulletin board). And I couldn't agree more. In fact, it will be one of the things I miss the most!

Nevertheless, I believe that navigation will get progressively easier the more one uses the site and distances oneself from the habitual "norm" of the bulletin board platform. And to this end I have rearranged the sidebar. Note that at the top of the sidebar is now what I call the "Site Index". This is a list of the "tags" (keywords, labels, what have you) that describe a given posting, along with the number of postings (in parentheses) in each category. The most important thing to note is that each project will be individually tagged. Thus if you are only interested in the progress being made on the bust of The Mummy, simply click on "Mummy (Bust)", and all the postings in that "thread" will appear in descending order.

Let me know what you think, and how it works for you. And should you have any questions or suggestions, don't hesitate!

Augie

3 comments:

  1. Hi Augie,

    The index arranged that way saves a bit of scrolling in search for the proper tag. I think its convenience is revealing more evident as topics increase in number.

    Thank you
    Mauro

    ReplyDelete
  2. Buona sera, amico mio.

    While I concur wholeheartedly with you, I am ever hopeful that not only we are right, but that others begin to see--and use--this relatively simple fix.

    The number of entries in the index will of course be constantly expanding. This might prove to be awkward, if not problematic, down the line; but that would be a "good" problem to have. We'll just have to see. One tag that I will definitely add when the time comes is that of "Completed Projects".

    Thank you for your ever welcome input.

    Tante grazie!

    Augie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Augie,
    If you are every interested in doing a Frankenstein historical figure, I have a picture of Georg von Frankenstein's effigy.

    Let me know.

    Jon

    ReplyDelete