07 March 2009

Welcome to my new home

First of all, allow me to apologize aforehand, as I am new to this “blogging”, and have yet to get my “sea legs” under me—which means there will be a lot of stumbling, editing, etc. to suffer through at first. . .

As most of you know, this medium is not my preferred venue. After over a decade of moderating forums dedicated to the historical depiction of medRen (1000 AD-1700, including Feudal Japan) subjects in miniature, I greatly valued the vibrant interaction and exchanges
that were once the hallmark of our “forums”. The last three years or so, however, have seen a steady, seemingly inexorable, decline in participation and involvement that, save for precious few individuals—and even rarer occasions, reduced the site to an on-line magazine, if not an exhausting monologue.

But as an artist, I firmly believe that one cannot live, much less flourish, in a closet: one must show one’s work! The Web, if not an ideal venue, undeniably provides the greatest and most timely [potential] exposure, as well as affording complete editorial control of the content— good or bad. Thus I decided to try blogging: at worst, it will be little more than an on-line personal journal; at best. . . well let’s see what the Fates might have in store. . .

One thing that I am looking forward to is being able to share with the readership my other areas of artistic/modelling interest. While the medRen genre is, and will remain, first and foremost in my heart, I too like to occasionally venture into the relative unknown, and a thematic, niche forum simply did not afford this latitude. An eponymous blog is perfect for such “detours” and you can look forward to seeing projects dealing with such varied subjects as WWI aviators, the Universal monsters, historical fantasy, etc.

And with that, come on in, pull-up a chair, and make yourselves at home. If you'd like to comment on ANY posting, feel free to do so. If you have a question about a non-related topic, feel free to email me and I will either answer your question; or if warranted, create a posting around the topic. And remember that El Passo Honroso will continue to remain accessible at Delphi's pleasure.

Augie

4 comments:

  1. Hello Augie;
    I just wanted to wish you the best of luck over here at Blogspot. I too have found that Delphi Forums are so very quiet- it's only logical to try somewhere else such as this Blogspot.com.
    With any luck, I'll find time to get back on the painting bench myself. One figure I am eyeing is Hecker & Goros' 54mm Bavarian Staff Officer, c. 1694.
    At any rate, cheers to the future here,

    Mark Sweeney.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Mark.

    Welcome. . . and thanks for the well-wishes.

    Sadly, if the interactive forums are quiet, this venue only makes more sense by virtually eliminating the unilateral participation of others. In other words, it will be just as quiet--if not more; however, without the option to initiate a discussion, the source of the angst is largely removed. The fact that I am no longer paying (for now) for the "privilege" of entertaining others is but another compelling reason to explore new venues.

    A dear friend asked me yesterday, "But what if the participation suddenly picks up on EPH?" Without hesitation I told him, "Then the journey would continue without missing a step!" I feel very strongly about, and I am totally committed to, the product and the service. Now it is in the hands of the membership. I hope I am not misunderstood. A brief flurry of activity is not going to cut it: there will have to be sustained participation for me to rethink the present course.

    That is an attractive figure, if somewhat lacking in definition and detail. Still, with careful painting making-up for the wants (à la Rose Miniatures of the 70's), a stellar piece can come of it.

    Thanks again!

    Augie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Augie,

    I am glad you are going to maintain a presence in the net. I have just put your blog in my favourite folder.
    Best wishes

    Mauro

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tante grazie, amico mio.

    It feels a bit more like home now that you've found your way here.

    As always, I look forward to your comments and incisive observations.

    Benvenuto!

    Augie

    ReplyDelete