18 April 2009

"The Wolf Man"--Assembly (4)

As promised, graphics of the work to-date. . .





The close-up of the head is very much an in-progress shot. The left side of the head (right to the viewer) is about 80% done; the right side is barely at 50%.

Things are about to slow-down significantly as the the main focus henceforth will be on the portraiture, clean-up, finishing and texturing. I will post graphic updates as the situation warrants; and of course all watersheds, as well as deviations from the anticipated, will be duly chronicled.

Until then. . .

19.04.2009

Head update. . . the left side is all but done. . .



A few hours later. . . the work on the head continues: the right eye is now in place, as is most of the facial fur. In fact, 95% of the front half of the face is now all-but-done! In anticipation of when the ears are completed, I have begun to clean-up and finish the collar and yoke area of the shirt: the back half of the head will be completed with the head in situ, attached.

20.04.2009

The front half of the head is done! As those who know me are aware, this doesn't mean that no further work will be done on it--far from it! It simply means that I have taken it as far as I can out of its "natural" setting. I began working on the ears a bit, and I hope to have these done by the weekend. Once they are done, the head can be permanently attached and the assembly phase of the project can be deemed closed.

21.04.2009

The "Van Gogh Stage". . . one ear done. . . one to go. . .

25.04.2009

THE EARS ARE DONE!!! While I have yet to attach the head to the torso--and I might forgo this watershed step for a few days or weeks--the head and the assembly phase of this project can be deemed finished.

I am currently reworking the hands for a more proportional balance, but I will include this portion of the project in the modelling wrap-up. I will post images of the completed face in the initial posting of "Wrapping-Up".

Until then. . .

4 comments:

  1. Augie,

    In a word "WOW"!! What a metamorphises. Let me begin with the cloths. They are now so fuller and the folds more natural and realistic. His whole body is more filled out! Now, the face/head. Just by looking at the ip shot you can compare the left side to the right side looking head on. The right side, the unfinished left side not with standing, is not only fuller, but more realistic as it relates to the actual character of Lawrence Talbot. The wolf hair and expresion on his face is SPOT-ON!!
    Keep up the good work. I look forward the progress however frequent it comes!

    Lloyd

    ReplyDelete
  2. First of all, MANY THANKS, my friend!

    I put in about another hour or so after posting the latest installment--wait until you see the head now! This IS Lon Chaney, Jr./Larry Talbot. . . or nearly so. It's funny (presumptuous?), but working each patch of fur makes me feel like Jack Pierce is looking over my shoulder! ;-)

    Stay tuned. . .

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Augie,

    That fur/hair-work looks like another example of mastering surface textures with modelling putty so typical of you.

    Are going to paint this figure soon, perhaps? And document the salient steps of the process, possibly?

    Ciao

    ReplyDelete
  4. Buona sera, amico mio. Tante grazie per tuo apporto!

    And thank you for your kind words. I'm afraid the images don't do the fur justice: there are at least three different lengths and textures that have been applied; textured "wet"; cured; reconfigured where necessary (i.e., carved and reshaped); and finally textured "dry" with a carbide burr. Hopefully, all the work will be apparent once the paint goes on.

    Which brings us to your second question: YES. . . I am happy to say!!! This one will be a straight-line project: from my mind to the work bench to the painting table. And yes, it will be a full-blown sbs "all'antica". ;-) If I pursue the approach I've been considering, this will be a much more interdisciplinary, multi-media engagement than what I am used to.

    Stay tuned. . . e ANCORA GRAZIE!!!

    Augie

    ReplyDelete