05 April 2009

"The Wolf Man"--Randy Bowen/Polar Lights: Assembly (2)

In what these days was an all-too-rare late-night modelling session, I filled (PUR), pegged (1/8" tin solder), and dry-assembled the lower half of the body last night. This morning, the balance of the kit--torso, [now separate] head, and arms--was assembled and filled, leaving me clear to begin working on the pose and reworking the drapery. . .

It just struck me that all this talk about reworking the drapery and pose has taken place in a "vacuum". WHY do I feel the need to rework the drapery? And WHAT pose do I have in mind??

The weakest aspect of most GK's, etc. is the drapery. Sorry, but those are the facts. Drapery is given all too little consideration beyond how it will look when it's painted. Since everyone knows that a smooth, clean surface is infinitely more difficult to render convincingly with paint, folds are gratuitously distributed with little thought given to the type and weight of fabric, scale of the project, and the underlying anatomy that determines the visible landscape of the garment. Ironically, while seemingly easier to paint, it overwhelmingly diminishes the illusion of a miniaturized figure. Our current subject is a classic example of this, as you shall soon see. I do not intend to completely resculpt the affected areas (I would come close to resculpting the entire figure!), but I will correct those areas with the more glaring inconsistencies.

As to the pose, I anticipate this will entail relatively minor re-positioning. My vision of this piece is of the Wolf Man hobbled by the spring/leg hold trap that had been set by the local constabulary. Obviously, scratchbuilding the trap is a sidebar project unto itself!

. . .

I just completed pegging all the sub-assemblies, dry assembling the figure, and mounting it on its working base. After a little bit of grinding and twisting, I have arrived at the [tentative!] new pose. IP images to follow shortly.

Until then. . .

No comments:

Post a Comment