11 June 2010

Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter (54mm)

Upon my return from work, I was welcomed by the arrival of Andrea's 54mm Undertaker, 1880's. Chuck (The Red Lancers) came through once again--no surprise there!

What was surprising, given my usual experiences with this manufacturer, was the overall quality of the casting! At the very worst, I would have to give it a VG+; and if not for some annoying minor mold tears, my sample would earn a well-deserved EXCELLENT!

The kit is comprised of 5 pieces, with the subject a one-piece casting measuring 53mm to the eyes--the only piece in the kit that will probably be used. While I will try to post images over the weekend, I have already begun the preliminary clean-up (usual seam lines--very light) and tweaking the face and the dress. Regarding the former, I have already removed the mustache and begun to "square" the angular Lee Van Cleef-ish look. As to the clothing, I have begun to modify the vest/shirt, coat, and shoes. As of this posting, the only putty work I foresee on the clothing will be the shirt collar, tie, and buttons (relocate three and add five).

The only addition to the kit I foresee making is that of Honest Abe's weapon of choice in his guise as a vampire hunter: a broad axe of the type he would have been more than familiar with as a rail-splitter of note and by trade.

To be continued. . .

FOLLOW-UP

The figure is now pegged and mounted on its working base. . .

As I continued the re-contouring of the face, it struck me that the proportions were a bit off for what I intended. So treating the prospective hunter as one of his prey, I lopped the head off! Now I have ample room to work on the shirt and vest, and I can decide whether to sculpt a new head from scratch, or convert a head from the spare parts bin. And whereas before there was no option--and I would have had to significantly modify the hat, I can now elect to have Abe hatted or not. A~

UPDATE

A quick check of the spare parts bin yielded a perfect base head--1/32nd Airfix--from which to develop my rendition of Lincoln. As of this writing, I have begun to hollow out the cheeks, enhance the chin and the supraorbital ridge, and flesh out the ears. I have also drilled out the neck on the figure, and fitted the head. A~

UPDATE

I would say the head is about 70% done. As the smaller scales (<70mm) are relatively unfamiliar territory, I am not sure how much more there is really left to do. And as the temporal setting remains undecided, I am straddling the fence on whether or not to include the beard. Regardless, progress continues. . .

On more solid ground, I have completed the right column of buttons: the three that were to be relocated--but were resculpted, plus one. Four to go. . .

No comments:

Post a Comment