16 June 2010

Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter - Wrapping up. . .

so that I might press on. . .

Over the last few days I have all-but-completed the face. Whilst the Web is a great repository of Lincoln iconography, my turn-to reference was Lincoln, Life Size by Philip B. Kunhardt III, et al. (NY: Knopf, 2009)--not perfect, but certainly invaluable, if only as a graphic personal chronology of our 16th President.

There still remains some "wrap-up" work to be done: the collar and tie, and tweaking the face; but the frontal view of the piece will change little in the days leading to priming.

Now for the "other half". . .

I drilled the right hand out when I received the kit in anticipation of having it holding a broad-axe. The problem with this presentation was that the exposed haft threw the figure out of kilter. And given Abe's background, where was the element of supernatural horror? So I decided to add a severed head--with fangs, of course!--that would only be visible when the figure was viewed from the rear. I am still undecided whether to include the axe and his stovepipe hat--the latter with a couple of "martyrs" (Lincoln's term in the book for his homemade Congreve [friction matches--named after, but not invented by, Sir William Congreve] 'flares').

FOLLOW-UP
The face is now just about done--all that is really left to do is the right eye, which then in turn might necessitate a slight rework of the left--depending on how hard I want to "push" the salient asymmetry of Lincoln's face.

I also reduced the size of the buttons somewhat--but not as much as you might think. The buttons appear dramatically oversized in the image, but I assure you they are not. Just needed a slight tweak. . .

UPDATE

The trophy head is now all-but-complete. While there is a bit of minor refining left to do to the hair, this will probably be addressed in situ once the head is permanently mounted, along with the addition of Abe's right thumb, etc.

Save for the right eye, and the final once-over, this figure is essentially done. Not bad for a week and a half of fun at the bench... Unless the addition of the right eye warrants some ip images, the next graphic update will be of the primed figure. . .

UPDATE (2)

With Q2-end looming large, this will probably be my last post until next weekend. . . Abe is now fully-orbed, and all that remains to be done are the lower eyelids on both eyes--I ended-up resculpting the left eye. I still have to give the figure the final once-over, but I am hoping to have it primed in 7-10 days.

FOLLOW-UP

The heads are done and awaiting priming. I decided to resculpt the shoes/boots to provide me with the option to display the figure on a "hard" (finished) surface, or earth; as well as depict a more realistic shoe size--and style. Once the shoes are done, so will the figure be...

2 comments:

  1. Augie,

    Ol' Abe never looked better. From the portraiture stand point you have done a grand job. You have captured his facial features and posture/mannerisms perfectly!!:-)) I love it!!

    However, to be fair. I don't know the source of your inspiration at all.:-(( And not knowing the context from which you are drawing I am having a heck of a time imagining him as a "Vampire' hunter!! While I love the idea until I see him in the setting you have designed for him I think I won't be able to appreciate your vision for him. BUT, I can't wait for you to get there!!!:-))))....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I wish I could claim credit for the idea--though I think I would be hard-pressed to come up with something like that; but as Rudi noted in the "Catching Up" posting, this is the source of it all: http://www.amazon.com/Abraham-Lincoln-Vampire-Seth-Grahame-Smith/dp/0446563080 . Definitely a fun--and unique ;-)-- read! :-)))

    As to Abe, I thank you my friend. These old eyes just can't handle sculpting 54's anymore, and this will be the last one. Having said that, I am delighted with the progress to date, and he should be just about ready for priming in a week or two.

    Stay tuned. . . ;-)

    ReplyDelete