02 July 2010

Romeo 90mm Úlfhéðinn

This 90mm rendition of an Úlfhéðinn (pl., Úlfhéðnar), sculpted by Gianni La Rocca, is one of Romeo Models' latest releases (90-018).

The Úlfhéðinn was the "wolf-brother" of the Berserkr, though primary literary reference is somewhat more equivocal in its distinction. Be that as it may, my interests in this figure are more mythological than historical.

"Úlfhéðinn" can be interpreted etymologically as "werewolf", and this is where the perhaps unrealized potential of this figure lies. As a man, the proportions of the piece strike me as a bit 'off'; but as a transmogrifying were' ??? Hmmm. . .

I obviously do not have this figure, but it is one I might consider acquiring in the months to come.

Thoughts? Comments??

4 comments:

  1. Hi Augie,

    I find your interest in this figure fascinating. Like you the subject matter( or should I say possibilities )is right up my alley!!:-))

    Like you when I first saw the figure while well sculpted, the pose looked a bit awkward to say the least. BUT, if this were to be a man just transfoming into a WEREWOLF?!!!..... Now that could be a horse of a different color in a matter of speaking.

    I would love to hear more of what you might have in mind. Depending, I would be willing to make the investment on the piece.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey guy!

    While I am not necessarily surprised, I AM delighted that this piece has struck a harmonious note with us :-)!!!

    I just saw this figure yesterday, hence my thoughts are still somewhat ill-defined. But what really caught my eye--and pushed me over the historical fenceline--was the fact that La Rocca bound the right foreleg of the pelt to the Úlfhéðinn's arm. This is probably a bit of stretch (it's been decades since I've seen the pelt of a grey wolf), but it did get me thinking. . .

    Just off the top of my head, I would lose the shield and both swords. I would replace the drawn sword with a spear (allegedly, their favoured weapon); and. . . I would have the left hand in the process of changing into a clawed "paw". The only other area I would definitely alter are the feet: these would also be represented in mid-change. I would like to alter the face, but that would largely depend on the synergy of the wolf's head to the rest of the figure.

    Whaddayathink???

    ReplyDelete
  3. Augie,

    I like it!!:-)) That kind of imagination put to this piece stikes me as more than a worthwhile project. Like I said. This is a FANTASTIC subject represented in 90mm and IMHO the optimum use of this casting.

    We need to discuss this in detail the next time we speak!!:-))) For me "I'm In" with both feet!!!....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, then I guess I'M in with both hind paws! ;-)))

    Sounds great, my friend. Looking forward to our chat!!!

    ReplyDelete