06 July 2010

And now for something completely different. . . STEAMPUNK!

A company hailing from a commune in the north-western suburbs of Paris has in little over a year taken the miniatures' world by storm by offering a product line that is not only unequaled in creativity and imagination, but in its production standards and quality. I am talking about Smart Max.

Smart Max offers two lines of resin 1/35th scale figures: Smog 1888 and Mauser Earth (website currently unavailable). Smog 1888 is classic Steampunk: a Victorian alternate reality with a healthy splash of sci-fi à la Jules Verne, et al. in what is the "new" Industrial Revolution--or the "old" one pursued to its unnatural extremes with all the unimaginable unnatural consequences. Mauser Earth is an alternate reality that features the "Forever War": the outcome of "the war to end all wars" is still very much in question as it has been going on for a quarter-century!

The figures are beautifully designed and sculpted, and exquisitely cast in polyvinyl resin. Yes. . . I know. . . not my favorite medium, but one eminently suitable for the task at hand--especially as the thickness of parts can be less than 1mm in many instances! Engineering and design is reminiscent of the best the Japanese masters have to offer: whereas we would sculpt/model a greatcoated figure in one piece, Smart Max provides a hollow greatcoat, a separate cape, a full set of legs!

Regarding scale. Smart Max is a pack-leader in what I can only describe as a new "micro" trend. Until recently, we have seen the scale pendulum of military miniatures ever swinging in the direction of "bigger is better", where the figures are obviously much larger than the professed scale. Smart Max and the likes of Nocturna, et al. are now releasing pieces that are true to scale, if not slightly smaller. Hence, the new scale standard is not 54mm (or 60mm in real measure), but a true 1/35th scale or 50mm.

This is perhaps seen as a compromise scale (note: hardly that, being the mainstay of military modelling since time immemorial!) that will attract the mainstream miniaturist, while still appealing to the wargaming collector, for it is in the latter that these new ventures have their roots. And if I may digress briefly, where the future of our hobby, IMHO, for whatever reasons, lies. Whatever you might think of him or his work, Raúl García Latorre and Enigma have been among the first to "cross-over". While I do not believe many more of the creators will follow--few have his talent in the smaller scales, undoubtedly many of the patrons will follow--if only because of display-ability and cost.

Cost. I remember when 25-30mm were about a buck or so per figure. Of course, I also remember when 54's were under $3.00! One of the major deterrents to a greater following for these new "micros" is cost. This is a case where you are getting less--volume-wise--for more. But what is quality and contextual imagination worth these days? Perhaps the worm has finally turned and artistry is being duly rewarded. . . And they are still cheaper than many of their larger counterparts!

The only other downside to these pieces is physical: how many people have the skills to do them justice? And how many of us old timers can still see well enough to even consider tackling them?? Perhaps they are righting the ship, and steering the hobby back on course. Unfortunately, while not quite ready to be marooned, "iacta alea est". However, until I am faced with the inevitable, I plan to enjoy these to the utmost, and I will be sharing my first venture into 3-d'al Steampunk with you shortly.

Until then. . .

2 comments:

  1. Initially when I read you were about to embark down the Smart Max >> Smog 1888 path I was a little surprised, Augie. However now that I've had time to digest this, I'm not really surprised after all - it just took me a few minutes to remember some of your recent fantasy pieces.

    Your choice of figure though, Jeremiah Crow, is interesting. I would have thought you more of a Cornelius Fauchelevent, Lord Crowley, Shamock the Great, or Reverend Dudley kind of guy. Personally Little Alice is my favourite thought.

    For those interested, El Greco Miniatures in the UK carry both the Smart Max lines.

    I'm looking forward to following your progress on this one Mr Rodríguez. Plenty of pics please - I've yet to actually see photos of Smart Max castings, and I'm plenty keen!

    Rudi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good afternoon, kind sir!

    There are many facets of my modelling and artistic interests that have long been "buried" due to the self-imposed rigidity of my sites ;-). It's one of the things that ultimately led to the opening of this little venture. . .

    I DO like Little Alice; however, the adjective is the operative word here, and she is definitely outside of the range of these old eyes (30mm). Still, if one were to convert Humpty Dumpty into a Steampunk Tweedle Dum-Tweedle Dee, it might prompt me to break out the Looking Glass. . .

    You're not as far off as you might think: Dudley is definitely on the short list for some unique conversion work; while Shamock is under consideration.

    I hope to have the kit by week's end. First thing I'll do before starting to play is photograph the kit and its components.

    Until then. . .

    Augie

    ReplyDelete