12 July 2010

Romeo 90mm Úlfhéðinn - REVIEW

Just received the subject kit from Chuck at The Red Lancers.

SUBJECT: Viking Ulfhednar[sic]
PROJECT SUBJECT: Viking Varulv
MANUFACTURER: Romeo Models
ITEM #: RM-90-018
SCALE: 90mm
CASTING MEDIUM: White metal
# of PIECES: 17 + 2(groundwork) + 1(panoply alla Pegaso)
Sculptor: Gianni La Rocca
REFERENCES: 1 page, Ital./Eng. Essentially useless drivel of the type we have become accustomed to from the "parent company"! Surprisingly (is it?!), there is no indication that Ancient Germanic Warriors (Michael P. Speidel; Routledge, 2008) was consulted.

KIT REVIEW: First of all, this sample, in the country less than a week, underscores the "buy as soon as available" imperative: the casting is sublime!

Unfortunately, the kit has been shorted two pieces: I received but 15 pieces, not the anticipated 17. The missing pieces are the two forelegs of the wolfskin that are attached to the arms of the warrior. I will contact Chuck about this immediately (he is at the Gettysburg Show so I don't expect the usual timely reply), but I don't know if I am inclined to return the kit (yes, the casting is that good!) over a couple of pieces that may not have been used in the long run. . . Regardless, as with any kit, open it immediately upon receipt and inspect it carefully!

. . .

Well, I have done all that can be done to this point, so now we wait... As I mentioned in the comments, this is the most frustrating aspect of this unfortunate incident: the weekend is here and I can't set burr, file, and saw to metal! Ah well. . .

Have I mentioned the casting is exquisite? There are the usual nubs and the like that currently prevent a seamless fit, but the dry-fitting is EXTREMELY promising! I don't expect to have to do much filling at all on the stock points of attachment.

For those who are interested in this kit straight OOB, I don't believe you will be disappointed, but here are a few observations. This is one heavily-armed, albeit lean, viking! His panoply is comprised of: 2 swords, 1 seax, 1 medium axe, and a shield. And he is wearing a mail "vambrace" on his right arm. That's about one sword (and axe?) and a shield too many. Another thing you might notice, though it will be hardly noticeable once the kit is assembled and fully kitted, is that there is a pronounced step where his abs meet the waistline of his breeches. I don't know if the torso shrank more than anticipated (the fit is near perfect), or if this was done by some design; regardless, I will be filling out the abs and/or undercutting the waist of the breeches to mitigate the effect.

The rest is about as good as it gets. The wolf's head, cast separately, is amongst the best I've seen done commercially. The base, cast in two pieces, is masterfully done! It is littered with osseous remains: three skulls (one, anachronistically, has a Wisby-an coif; another is helmeted, the latter marginally displaced); a femur; and scattered ribs and pieces of bones. A wonderfully gruesome setting!

Had the kit been complete, I would give this piece a HIGHLY RECOMMENDED. It certainly will be a fun kit to paint and/or modify to your heart's content. And it is about as affordable as a white metal 90mm can be these days.

I will start playing with this figure as soon as I hear from Chuck. . .

2 comments:

  1. Augie,

    It is good to see that you have received this MOST interesting of subjects in kit form!! I'm VERY glad to hear that the casting is to your liking. However, I'm sorry to hear that there are 2 pieces that are missing!!:-((( like you said. As a cationary tale-ALWAYS inspect a purchase as soon as you get it!!! Getting a kit with missing parts can happen to anyone. It's happened to me.

    Can't wait to see you start to sink your teeth into this one!!( no pun intended!! )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey guy,

    It truly is a beautiful kit--were that all castings this good! And the groundwork is a keeper: for once the metal was put to good--no, GREAT!--use!!

    I concur 110%. My disappointment is couched in that THIS SHOULD HAPPEN TO NO ONE--EVER! Lest anyone want to turn this into something it is not, this is not an indictment of Chuck: the kit was not only factory sealed, but arrived perfectly, as usual, from this 5+ star retailer. But I digress. . .

    Now, I can not begin to enjoy my purchase and make the necessary mods until I hear from Chuck in case he requires that I return the kit. Regardless of his decision, he now has one less kit that he can sell until he receives the replacement parts. So a simple careless oversight has a significant ripple-effect. I can't speak for anyone, but I will certainly think long and hard before reaching for my wallet to buy a kit from this consortium again.

    Let me get back to taking some notes and PSing the factory-provided images--it will have to do until I can break out the burrs and start the transmogrification in earnest. . .

    ReplyDelete