16 July 2010

Smart Max's Jeremiah Crow--UPDATE (3)

Not too much to report as the tedium of clean-up continues. . .

Since my last posting, the focus has been on fit and fitting. First, I reworked the join of the left hand to the forearm, as the positioning of the spade is critical, and I did not want any surprises down the road. So I dished out the cuff, and drilled a slightly larger attachment hole. Then I extended the wrist of the hand with MS, lubricated the cuff and hole with Vaseline, and plugged the hand into the cuff. Now I have a perfect, positive join with very little play.

Next, I shifted my attention to the mating of the pants to the base of the torso. There was way too much play and freeboard between the two surfaces to suit me, and the resin was critically thin where the tails of the greatcoat joined the torso: a single mishandling could have disastrous results. So I shimmed the internal circumference of the base of the torso with MS, and deliberately pressed the pants into place, paying particularly attention to the lean of the figure. I set it aside to cure, and after carefully loosening the bond, successfully wiggled the greatcoat off the pants. Now I have a positive join that satisfyingly "clicks" into place.

I estimate that I should have the figure ready for priming in 2-3 weeks. . .

No comments:

Post a Comment