09 June 2010

Catching up. . .

It has been an inordinately long time, which just goes to underscore that one can serve but one master at a time. . . Maybe two. But three?

I have ongoing projects on three forums as I write: steady progress is being reported on two of these. Lamentably, it appears as if I will have to decompress a bit from my immersion into the horror/fantasy genre before I can dive in again.

But dive in I will, and I will be introducing a historical fantasy project within the week to get things rolling again on these pages, and hopefully reward your patience and persistence.

As a sneak preview of what is to come, I am about a third of the way through a most enjoyable read: Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter by Seth Grahame-Smith (NY: Grand Central, 2010). I stumbled upon this title while "playing" with a colleague's iPad during one of those all-too-rare lulls at work. The reviews are mixed, running the gamut; and, for me at least, the basic premise seemed "forced". And yet. . .

Well, I finally gave in, and I am very pleased to say that I appear to have been wrong on all counts! Admittedly, two-thirds of any book is more than enough to dash what might turn out to be premature zeal; but to date, this has been an engaging, fun read, if somewhat linear and undemanding.

But this is not a literary blog. And you will find plenty of those that have sunk their teeth into this work--pun intended!--if you are so inclined. What this work has done for me is stoked the cooling embers of creative inspiration.

I originally conceived of a 150-200mm portrait figure of Abe, the Vampire Hunter, based on the dj illustration of the book. And while this is still a viable proposition, I decided upon a more modest prologue to this story: converting Andrea's 54mm Undertaker in their Golden West series (S4-F36) to Abraham Lincoln, Vampire Hunter. . .

To be continued. . .

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like an interesting project, Mr Rodríguez. You certainly have my attention!

    So will you be depicting the character per the cover-art (as seen here: http://www.amazon.com/Abraham-Lincoln-Vampire-Seth-Grahame-Smith/dp/0446563080)?

    Best wishes
    Rudi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Greetings, my friend!

    The "character per the cover-art" will be the eventual follow-up project. I might actually decide to offer it in two versions--or perhaps a 2-in-1: two sets of arms allowing the miniaturist to model the Brady portrait, or the alternate-reality Abe.

    The immediate project will serve as an exploratory undertaking, more of a "thumbnail" sketch, if only in scale. While I intend to modify the dress somewhat, the greatest challenge will be to sculpt Lincoln's likeness in 54mm.

    Stay tuned. . . and don't be a stranger!

    Augie

    ReplyDelete