15 August 2010

Upon further consideration. . .

While I am unequivocally resentful of having to do KM's work for them--especially after having paid for the privilege, I am perversely appreciative of this opportunity to re-immerse myself in the basics of this hobby of ours. There is something very gratifying to see a crude, rough casting transform before your very eyes into a finished, brushed-metal sculpture that can be displayed "as is" if one so chose.

I now have about 3 hrs. invested in the "clean-up" of this figure. By "clean-up" I mean going plate-by-plate with file and sandpaper, X-acto and scriber, epoxy putty and steel wool, and refinishing the figure to my standards--I am about 40% done.

It is definitely slow-going. . . and the softer metal requires a light touch and sharp instruments; but this is the very foundation upon which our hobby is built. Sadly, this essential skillset is not only largely lost upon relative newcomers to the hobby, but is rapidly being forgotten by "veterans" who should know better.

I figure I might have about another 12 hrs. or so of work ahead of me before I can begin the conversion to the Iron Patriot in earnest. Whatever it takes. . .

UPDATE

A mindless marathon session later, and I would say the main body and arms are about 75% done, with the head about 50% completed. The casting has been given its first buffing, and it is looking quite good. There are still what I am presuming are a few stray seam lines to address, and sharpening soft detail and creating some overlooked undercuts. If work isn't too draining this week, I might be able to begin the converting this weekend. . .

FOLLOW-UP

Unless you are one of the fortunate ones to have/receive a pristine--or nearly so--casting of this kit, plan on devoting 6 hrs., give or take, to getting the body up to speed. I figure I might have an additional hour or so to "tighten" things up and give the boots a final once over, but essentially the body is done. Now for the arms and head. . .

While I have you here, I dusted-off an old technique that I used to use all the time to deal with isolated and/or limited pitting, and vestigial seam lines: burnishing. Rather than take file to a limited-access area, or expand the pitting to have it accept putty more readily--and securely, burnish out the offending imperfection with a dental tool or a custom-made tool from brass tubing or rod. Obviously, this will only work on softer metal figures--like this one!

No comments:

Post a Comment