29 August 2010

Red Skull--The Project (2): The Head

The time has come to start working on the pivotal element of this project: the red skull itself!

My first step was to "bone-out" the calvarium with MS, focusing on overall shape and proportions. I have not completely decided whether to do the canonical mask or a "living skull": my all-but-made decision to take the "living skull" approach was taken down a few notches when I started examining some close-ups of "The Abominable Dr. Phibes" (1971). Vincent Price (or his stand-in) obviously wore a rubber mask, but it was extremely effective in spite of its relative crudeness. Hmmm. . .

I will try to post a graphic update of all the work done to-date over the forthcoming Holiday weekend.

FOLLOW-UP--Just completed roughing-in the left half of the cranium. Coming together nicely!

I also took the opportunity to drill out the gloved left hand and fit the shaft of the swordstick (1/16" brass rod).

UPDATE 01.09.10--The head. . . uh. . . skull is now roughed-in, minus teeth and eyes. Loads of contouring and the like remain, but the essence of what I am striving for is there. It does give the figure an entirely different "feel". . .

UPDATE 04.09.10--The "skull" is now completely roughed-in--about 80% complete. The only major work remaining is the detailing of the teeth.

No comments:

Post a Comment