31 October 2010

Doctor Doom (I)

First of all, a Happy All Hallow's Eve to one and all.

While the kit is definitely not worth salvaging, I can not see my way clear to throw away $75.00! And as I know if I simply put it away, it will never get built, I've decided to press on until I can go no further. Fortunately, I just received a resupply of MS last week!

Progress reports to follow as warranted. . .

BENCHNOTES (1) 01.11.10 The one virtually insurmountable hurdle to be overcome is the differential in shrinkage between the PUR and the white metal. This is not only the primary cause of the deplorable fit, but due to the non-keyed joins, makes it virtually impossible to assemble intuitively.

The basic structure is now assembled. It took over 4 sessions of buttressing the undersides of cape/throne sides with MS. It also demanded that the drapery of the cape be restored to what I presumed were its original dimensions, again with MS: the left side is all but done; the right awaits. Needless to say, the miniaturist best be thinking about how he or she will tackle the painting of this "puzzle", lest all this work--and all that remains--amount to naught!

The sabatons have been ground down, roughly shaped, and the right one repositioned. The poorly cast floor, useless as provided, will not be used. The mantle clasps have been redone: the left one in my sample was missing a section of the turned edge: so much for quality control. Which is just as well as Doom's clasps were not turned! The gauntlet cuffs have been beefed up, and now await finishing.

Before closing for the day, should you venture to acquire this disaster, the key to it all is the back of the throne. Figure out what you're supposed to do with this, and everything will more or less begin to come together. . .

BENCHNOTES (1a) 01.11.10 I have just completed fitting the back of the throne to the assembled 3-pcs. "structure" described above. As there is a considerable gap between the back of the throne and the figure (cf. the green), the first thing I did was fill the hollowed back of the figure with MS. I then drilled two holes in the back of the throne, which when pressed into the MS, would create two male locater pegs. The assembled throne was then set aside to cure. Please note that this is but step one, albeit the most critical, of what will be a rather prolonged process to give the throne a finished look from any perspective.

No comments:

Post a Comment