04 October 2010

Jack O'Lantern--DETOUR!!!

I can hear the chorus of, "I KNEW IT!!!" echoing in my ears. . .

What can I say. . . ? I must be true to myself, and the aesthetics of the bust were driving me nuts! Some of you in the readership can pretty much guess what is about to follow, so please, no spoiling it for the rest.

Here goes. My issue was with the right arm. . .




[Images courtesy of KitKong Model Mansion]

IMHO, the bust was not only "flattened" by the 'third point' in the 180° plane; but once I reposed the bust, the right arm was effectively dissociated from the body.

There were two options: 1) crop the right arm to the triceps, following the line of the lats; or, remove the arm, section it, extend/straighten it, and relocate it on the torso. The minimalist in me immediately gravitated towards option #1; but it just didn't work. Or, rather, it created ambiguities in the subject of the work. Furthermore, whereas the arm gave the bust a "lopsided" appearance, the absence of an arm created a spatial void.

So option #2 it was. . . is! The arm is now sectioned, tentatively reassembled, and pegged to the torso. The arm opening of the scaled jerkin will have to be reconstructed around the repositioned arm. As to how I've repositioned the arm. . . pictures to follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment