03 October 2010

Jack O'Lantern--Prepwork

As I mentioned in the lead post, I have already executed some mods on the bust. The most significant mod is lopping off the pedestal and reducing the height of the actual bust. Those of you who have known me for a while are well aware of my sensitivity to proportional aesthetics when it comes to busts. Add to this the fact that the pedestal was moderately distorted (common on busts with en suite pedestals!), and the dice were cast!

Since I would have to resculpt a pedestal, and the proportions of the torso would be altered, it was time to reconsider the posing of the bust as well.

Finally, the proportions of the flaming head simply didn't work for me. They were not bad, just not a "full" pumpkin. I wrestled with this one a bit, as I was strongly leaning toward resculpting the head and casting the flames separately in tinted translucent resin. But once the bust was reposed and the head repositioned, the head was a much better "fit". I am in the process of tweaking the proportions, but just so, effecting a minor enhancement along the lower "jaw".

Images to follow as soon as I get a moment. . .

FOLLOW-UP
The bulk of the work is now done. Next up:
  • fitting the head (DONE!)
  • cleaning up the scales; re-scribing or resculpting where necessary (already begun)
  • attaching the arms and filling the joins
  • fitting the pumpkin grenades--the fit is good, but the attachment shallow: I want to peg these to eliminate any surprises down the road. . . it will also give me something to put in the hand-vise during painting.

No comments:

Post a Comment